Hooker Hill

KMK: Hooker Hill

Before I came to Korea my picture of the country was of a pious nation of Buddhists and Christians living in spiritual calm against the tide of insanity from the North. Well, that picture shattered quickly. In a city where stiletto heels and short mini skirts are common work attire my eyebrows raised. Commercials showcase sexuality and flesh in such Dionyeisian proportions that you’d swear the entire population must be cavorting in some sweat soaked bacchanl. Needless to say, Chastity really is just a name and not a practice here in the ROK. Which is to say it’s similar to America except more intense. The commercials? Sexier. The men? Sexier. The women? Sexier. I swear the sexy just slaps you in the face.
So one would think that in a land of sexiness that the society would be open minded about a few things like, you know, prostitution. Wrong. To the powers that be there is no prostitution in Korea just like there are no gays. This makes me wonder how the authorities explain a certain infamous hill in Itaewon. Just a few blocks from the station, near the Seven 11 and before Cancun and King Club is a hill so full of prostitutes that its nickname has become hooker hill. Juice bars and brothels line the street showcasing enough naughty delights to make a die hard Amsterdam dweller blush.

Don’t fret if you want to explore hooker hill without looking like you’re out window shopping because there are other establishments. Polly’s Kettle is just one of the bars where Expats congregate to get smashed and dance the night away. In fact a Polly’s Kettle, a fruit juice and soju mix, is a great way to start the night off. So have no fear about your lily white reputation. You can climb the hill and leave with your virginity intact or not.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

About

I’m a blogger, writer, and teacher. I’ve been working in South Korea’s ESL field for the last three years. My one year contract has unexpectedly turned into a journey that I’m still on and loving.

'KMK: Hooker Hill' have 11 comments

1. January 25, 2012 @ 8:37 pm O, South Korea, how I love thee. Part One. « halestorminchina

[...] Meet friends in foreigner-ville, Itaewon: Visit “Hooker Hill”, followed by “Homo Hill”. Verdict = unimpressed (ain’t no Amsterdam). Also, heavy US [...]

2. December 10, 2011 @ 12:49 pm Joaquin

I’m in a situation very similar to yours. I started taking pictures of Hooker Hill and put them on my blog http://www.hookerhill.org my family simply could not believe that it was real. I hear people tell me stories of the 80s, which were even wilder. I can’t imagine that, sounds insane.

• December 19, 2011 @ 10:32 am Brian Dye

Yeah the hooker hill seems to exist in a world all of its own. Well it probably has company but that’s as far as I’m willing to go to explore it.

3. August 20, 2009 @ 12:44 am Phoenixstorm

The only other sex shop I know is is condomania in Hongdae, but I’m sure how many prostate massagers they have. Most likely zero, but you never know.

4. August 20, 2009 @ 12:40 am Anonymous

Today I went to Itaewon and tried to find out the Adult shop. I could find only one, which is next to the gas station on the right side, while walking directly from the exit 3. I wanted to buy one anal prostrate massager, but could find mostly the girls items.. Is there any other adult shop in seoul??

• September 16, 2014 @ 3:49 pm Brian Dye

Yup, that’s been long gone. There is one by Baker’s Table by the Over head walking bridge in HBC.

5. July 7, 2009 @ 11:42 am Amanda

If you’re going to go to the police station in Itaewon and drunkenly ask for directions to Hooker Hill, don’t do it more than once. They catch on. Just sayin’.

• September 16, 2014 @ 3:50 pm Brian Dye

Those canny police officers and their detective skills!

6. July 7, 2009 @ 5:04 am Phoenixstorm

Lol I never knew that. Maybe they’re starting a trend.

7. July 7, 2009 @ 5:00 am Must Love Movies

have you been to the strip in yongsan that looks like Amsterdam?

• September 16, 2014 @ 3:51 pm Brian Dye

That’s long gone now. It’s been bulldozed and paved over for the coming ncecessary parking space.

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.

Please also note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly misrepresents that material or activity is infringing, may be subject to liability. Old Paper by ThunderThemes.net